LAX Musings and on to Scotland
It’s 5:49 pm on Saturday 3/29, and I’m sitting in the Bradley International Terminal at LAX.
My flight doesn’t leave until 9:40 pm so I have some time to fill.
We drove right up to terminal - NO traffic which was unusual, but nice. Have Clear and TSA Pre so security was done in no time.
Wandered through Duty Free and a few of the stores. Very high end stores which always makes me wonder - how much do they actually sell?
Trying to defeat jet lag using Timeshifter app. Have moved wake-up ahead several hours - not the easiest for me! Which means I’m sleepy now but have to stay awake until I’m on plane. I’m supposed to wake up at 2 am LA time, drink coffee and stay awake until 1 pm in Edinburgh.Going to try and will report.
Time to walk around.
7:15 pm
Got an hour of walking in, and the requisite 10,000 steps.
I know I’m going to the home of whisky (note - no e) but Duty Free had a nice selection.
In homage to my time in Seattle, had to get a Beechers grilled cheese. As a pescatarian/ vegetarian, it can be hard to find food when traveling — this was gooey goodness. Saving half for middle of the night.
Lots has changed since the last time I flew internationally. All security screens, and boarding are done biometrically. A bit hard to see in this pic, but when your lane light is green, you stand and face camera, and are scanned.
To enter the UK, all you had to do was scan your passport - no more dealing with the grumpy immigration officers, but also no passport stamp 🙁
Finally boarded - Premium Economy was worth it. Wider seats and much more leg room, didn’t take advantage of the complimentary cocktails. The window seats had an interesting feature - a large cubby between the seat and the window - handy for stowing yarn while knitting.
Timeshifter app had me wake up at 2 am Pacific time - couldn’t do that but did get up at 3 am, and had coffee. Brutal night but feeling good today.
Flight was long and often so bumpy that the captain turned on seat belt sign. But made it to Heathrow safely.
All British Air flights are in the “new” Terminal 5 - you still have to go up and down multiple flights of stairs and traverse miles of corridors
And once you’ve cleared Immigration, you have to clear security again. Not that I ever left a secure area - and interestingly you had to show id to board flight to Edinburgh.
Short smooth flight. It’s sooooo green here.
Walked out of airport and saw this Edinburgh sign - reminded me of the one at Disneyland.
Wondered about where to catch tram (bought tix in advance)but it was right there. Conductor was super nice - came up to tell me that my stop was the next one so I wouldn’t miss it.
Had a very interesting conversation with a South African couple on the tram about American politics and the effect policies are having on South Africa. Did not realize that farmers in SA would be affected. They had planned to go to New York and Washington DC but decided against spending their money in this
Short walk to Parliament House Hotel. Found a majestic Scottish stag to greet me!
restaurant dining in the area had closed by the time I headed out, not sure if it’s because it was Sunday or just closed at 9. Found a bar around the house where I had a much needed beer and wood fired pizza.
Back to hotel for much needed shower, managed to stay up until 10:45.
And so to bed.











Comments
Post a Comment